The key to a successful life in the 21st century comes from a good foundation in Reading. While December is a busy time of the year it is also a wonderful time to turn off the television and carve out some quiet reading time with the ones we love the most and make happy memories.
Here are 6 ways reading aloud helps “our” children.
- stories help children make sense of their world
- both parent and child learn from the book that is being read
- Reading to your child
- improves cognitive and language development
- exposes children to words that are not often found in day-to day conversations
- allows them to practice listening
- builds word-sound awareness
- builds motivation and curiosity (two skills needed to succeed in our world)
- Stories offer concrete models about life in our world through
- other life styles
Our quote for the month is, “Children are made readers in the laps of their parents.”
- Ways to carve out time:
- Have a no television rule between 7:00 and 8:00 to create a read together time.
- Take turns choosing books.
- Read books that are challenging to your child and let them help by turning the pages or reading a line in every paragraph.
- Take a book in the car and have a non-driver read
- Next to your child’s bed – Have everyone crawl into bed 15 or 20 minutes early to enjoy some good literature.
- On a non- school night stay up later then the usual bedtime to allow for reading.
Be “SMART” and Start Making A Reader Today. After all, children who love reading live happier ever after.